Do you know that it takes seven seconds to make an impression? When attending a job interview each of these seconds are extremely important to ensure that you begin the interview on the right foot. There are a few very important points when making a good, first impression, refresh yourself with the points below before attending your next job interview!
- The most important of all aspects is to arrive early! As the age old saying goes, “if you arrive early, you’re on time, if you’re on time, you’re late.”
- Dress the part. We have shared an article previously on how to dress for an interview. It is important to dress presentably and professionally, brush your hair, clean your teeth, iron your clothes and shin your shoes.
- Smile. Look warm, approachable and friendly and make the first impression looking your interviewer in the eye, shaking their hand and introducing yourself.
- Go into the interview with a good attitude, yes you may be nervous but confidence is key, if you’ve reached the interview stage than you’re just as worthy as any other candidate.
- Bring only the essentials in a neat briefcase or handbag with a copy of your resume, pen and notepad. Refrain from bringing in coffee cups, food or clutching your phone.
- Be nice to the receptionist. Just because they may not be the person who ultimately decides if you get the job, they may report back to the interviewer of the demeanor of the candidates when they enter the office.